Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Always Wanted to be a Tenenbaum




I discovered my favorite movie, The Royal Tenenbaums, on vacation during my senior year of high school. I went to the movies with my then-boyfriend and a group of his friends returning from their first semester of college. The group I was with, save for my then-boyfriend, felt they had wasted their time and money but for me the movie was quirky, whimsical, poignant and visually enthralling.

Love him or hate him, it's clear that Wes Anderson creates entire worlds from the ground up. The production value of his movies makes me weak in the knees. I caught The Royal Tenebaums last night on television, and it reminded me how cohesively the sets and costumes create the world of the Tenenbaum family of Archer Avenue.

Look at the detail involved in the murals in Richie's bedroom:

The salmon paint and the aging carpets in the sitting room:

The childlike world of Richie's yellow tent:

(all via Google)

The Tenebaum home on Archer Avenue proudly displays "the family of geniuses" through gallery-style artwork that lines the staircase and an overall layered feeling to the space, as though it has aged with its inhabitants.

What movie interiors inspire you?

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen Fantastic Mr Fox yet? I thought the design elements in that movie were amazing. And I totally fell in love with Mr and Mrs Fox...such a great portrait of a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the movie from Netflix, just waiting to be watched. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1