Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Interiors at 1:12 Scale

Sometimes I'm really intimidated about decorating my apartment. There is so much to consider: colors, lighting, the scale of the furniture, etc.

That's why I'm amazed at what Mrs. James Ward Thorne, a Chicago woman, created at just 1:12 scale: these lifelike recreations of the nineteenth and twentieth century American home in doll size.

These dollhouses are chicer than my home!

The little girl in me is enchanted, while the adult in me is envious of the beautiful decor.






(California Living Room, c. 1935-1940, c. 1940)

(California Hallway, c. 1940, c. 1940)
(all via The Art Institute of Chicago)

If you're in the Chicago area, check out these rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago's exhibition of the Thorne Rooms beginning on November 1.

Maybe decorating would be easier if I made a practice run on a dollhouse...nah.

2 comments:

  1. Meh. I like your place better. (From what I've seen of it.) But maybe that's just because I abhor Windsor chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was just feeling the fact that these were dollhouses...something about wanting to escape my current adult responsibilities for the playtime of childhood!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1