Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Report: The New York Times Book of Interior Design & Decoration

 It's been far too long since I've shared with you a new addition to my somewhat irregular feature called "Book Report" (for more of my reports, see here, here, or here), so I'll correct that today by sharing a review of a new-to-me book: The New York Times Book of Interior Design & Decorating by Norma Skura.

This treasure of a book was published in 1978 and it exemplifies the phrase 'an oldie but goodie'. It is a dense book with a lot of information and guidance on decorating that is broken down in useful bits (i.e., investing in quality furniture, using color confidently, determining your direction/style).

Some of the topic areas included:
For as much text as is in the book, there is also a substantial amount of images that cover a breadth of styles. Many, even 30+ years later, provide inspiration for our modern spaces. 
If these images were cut and pasted into next month's issue of Elle Decor, Veranda or House Beautiful, I wouldn't bat an eye.
All told, the book represents styles across the spectrum--from traditional to sleek. Many of the rooms are attributed to designers that we all know and love (think Albert Hadley, Sister Parish, David Hicks, Mario Buatta), and there is a reason why these designs have staying power.

But enough of that...what you want to see are the pictures, am I right?

How do I get my hands on that rug?
The footed tables (below) has Kathy's name all over it!
Antlers are an accessory that seem to be timeless...and don't even get me started on that floor!
I could easily see this Tory Burch moving into this room. Moire wallpaper? Are you serious?!
I'm dying for someone to recreate this canopy bed that appears to be constructed of pipe fittings:
The blend of prints in this room make me very, very happy, even if the fabric canopy is a bit dowdy.
Who wouldn't appreciate the brazen use of pink in this room?
If I've piqued your interest in this book, it can be yours for practically pennies. There are many used copies available across the web, and definitely worth checking out. I bought my copy for $3 on Saturday at an estate sale and am very pleased with my investment. 
...but, I really must run...more advice to absorb from this book...

4 comments:

  1. What a great design book that is definitely timeless-- I need to look for more interior design books at estate sales...Happy Thursday! Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great book report, Ashley, and thanks for the shout-out! I love old design books and bought a couple at an estate sale recently, but nothing as cool as this one. Thanks for sharing. I may have to go trolling on eBay now!

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great book Ashley, it truly is amazing how design trends ebb and flow, there is so much to learn from looking back at the history to design, furniture, trends. Thanks for linking up to my mix and mingle party and for sharing this wonderful design book.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design is timeless and that is certainly the case with this book...gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1