Friday, March 29, 2013

Must-Have Tools and Supplies for Any DIYer

Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Do-it-yourself projects can be really daunting at times, can't they? Even if the steps of a project aren't particularly elaborate, it's easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of supplies necessary to complete it. Well, today, I want to disprove the notion you've got to have millions of tools to get down to DIYing because...you don't. It's as simple as that.

I've rounded up some of my favorite DIY tools and supplies for that upholstery, sewing, or painting project you've been thinking of doing. These products that are easily available and aren't expensive, so why not get to work?Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
(1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6)

For upholstery projects, there are some staples (excuse the pun) that every DIYer should have on hand. My Arrow staple gun is indispensable for light-duty projects like changing the fabric on the seat of a chair. It's also helpful to have a tack remover (to dislodge old staples) and a good pair of scissors in your toolbox. Remember, keep a pair of scissors to use only for cutting fabric! When a pair of scissors is used to cut a variety of materials (paper, fabric, etc.), the blades dull quickly. After changing old fabric for new, consider applying Restor-a-Finish (available in several finishes) with cotton rags to revitalize the appearance of a secondhand find worthy of your efforts!

Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
(7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11)

With sewing projects, it helps to have a sewing machine (which I didn't include here because there are many good options ranging from basic-to-advanced capabilities). Sewing is straightforward, but if it's not your thing don't be embarrassed to use Stitch Witchery for hems or lightly-used items. Sewing newbies should feel comfortable starting with pillows, and I'm partial to using down-filled pillow forms that come in a variety of shapes/sizes--much better looking than poly-filled pillows. Make homemade pillows look anything but homemade with cotton filler cord (for welting) and cotton bias tape (added as trim) at minimal cost. Lastly, if you've ever contemplated making a large rug from two smaller rugs (like Jenny did), I've done it for our living room and recommend using a curved upholstery needle to bind the rugs by hand. 

Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
(12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17)

Painting, stripping or hacking furniture DIYs are the projects that annoy me most, frankly. There's usually a lot of waiting which doesn't work for me, Ms. Impatience that I am. But, my frustration is kept to a minimum with easy-to-use, effective products like sanding sponges, foam rollers and Citristrip gel. When it comes to applying color and a finish, I've opted for Montana Gold spray paint repeatedly for their amazing color choices and Minwax's Polycrylic (less deadly fumes than the spray version) for its clear-coat gloss. Finally, one of the best purchases I've made for DIYs is my plastic miter box because it enables straight cuts for adding trim to furniture or frames. 

It's worth noting that I was not sponsored to offer these recommendations in any way--these are just products I use frequently when tackling DIYs in my own home.

Are any of these products new to you, readers?
If you're a regular do-it-yourself-er, did I miss any must-have tools or supplies?

2 comments:

  1. Great post Ashley. I have used Montana spray paint once before and loved the color choices as well. Great round up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great suggestions. I also love a de-glosser (liquid sandpaper), an electric sander, and bonding primer for challenging surfaces!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1