Monday, May 20, 2013

Curtain Call (Curtains for the Bedroom and Den)

Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
It's been awhile since I've blogged, huh? A lot has happened in my off-blog life since my last post--birthdays, Mother's Day, a nearly week-long visit from Mom, my sister-in-law graduated from med school--which seems like enough events to keep a person from blogging, right?

During Mom's visit, she and I made some good headway on the task of making curtains for my bedroom and our den and they are definitely worth sharing.

After we moved into this house it became apparent that none of the curtains we had in our old apartment matched the dimensions of the larger windows of this house, so we had many bare windows that needed dressing (and still do). In the bedroom, though, I knew I wanted to go a more serene route than the red and blue that we had in there.

I ordered 10 yards of off white shantung silk from Gray Lines Linen and coupled the silk with black-out lining from Joann Fabrics. The side windows are 53" wide, but I wanted the curtains to be full so Mom and I decided to have two panels of 54" wide each. Our bedroom is mostly empty, but somehow the curtains feel fill some of the space like a substantial piece of furniture.
Here they are:
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
I'm planning to add these bamboo roman shades from Overstock to the side windows, which will add another nice texture to the shantung. Don't you agree?
Meanwhile, during a trip to Joann Fabrics for thread, I spotted a bolt of fabric with a color and pattern that complemented the painted paneling in the den (a soon-to-be-completed project). How serendipitous!
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
And at $24.99 plus a 40% off coupon, the decision to use this fabric for curtains was a no-brainer! The curtains in the den were also lined (as all curtains should be). I had to special order about 6 more yards of this striped fabric because my local store didn't have any more in stock, but when they do Mom and I will finish the remaining panels so that I have the option of fully covering the window.

Until then, I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far:
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Curtains are always a good project to tackle with my mom because she's a great sewer and it also really helps to have an extra set of hands to manage all the fabric that is required for making your own curtains. Thanks, Mom!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Ashley! Both rooms look great. I love your bedroom....so serene and the Joann's fabric find was a steal. It kinda has a john robshaw feel!! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks SO good! It never ceases to amaze me how much of a difference curtains make--they fill the room, like you said.

    Heather
    loveyourspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love DIY curtains since it is such a dramatic custom look! Yours look wonderful1!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be such a luxury to have a Mom that sews - or to be able to do it yourself! Curtains add so much and I love how your space is coming together. Goodness knows I can't say no to a stripe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really do add so much to a room. My Mom has always helped me with window treatments as well. She is so patient and used to sew a lot of her own things when my brother and I were younger, so it's nice to have her help with this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric! You know your design board for this room is one of my all time faves, I can't wait to see how it turns out. The paint samples on the wall are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with the bedroom curtains! I would actually suggest you to blackout them, but you seem to share the same desire I have for a serene and private refuge. :) It is a great choice and would be extremely helpful when you're having difficulty sleeping. Count on it to block disturbing lights. ;) Roxie@www.WindowTreatmentsPhiladelphia.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1